A Salad Dressing That Saves Lives

lime cilantro honey dressing
Okay, saves lives may be a stretch, but it sure has saved me an hour today. And kept me off the streets during lunchtime. Which can be hazardous in Atlanta. So, see? Really, we're all safer thanks to this salad dressing.

I've spoken with y'all before about the importance of having routines. For me, at least. Without a routine, things go to pieces around here quickly. And I don't mean with the girls or my husband. This is pretty specific to me.

As in, I can easily lose a precious hour (or more) from my day trying to hunt up a decent bite to eat. I swear I am worse than my kids about "nothing sounding good."And just as easily, I'll end up eating fast food because it will take too much time to go to the store and/or wait in line at one of the many delightfully crowded delis by my house.

One trick I use to beat the lunch crowd and cater to my particular cravings is to keep fresh salad ingredients on hand. My other trick is to make yummy homemade dressings and keep them in the fridge. Here's one of my favorites:

Lime, Cilantro & Honey Dressing

1/4 medium purple onion
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 T. honey
1 1/2 - 2 T. Balsamic vinegar
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 c. olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

Fling this into a food processor and pulse until it's a consistency you enjoy. Add more olive oil if you'd like. Frankly, you can add a touch more of any of the ingredients if you like, and take away anything you don't particularly enjoy. This is how I like to cook. Mainly because I'm just working with whatever I can hunt up in my kitchen. Most of the time it works out pretty well.

Toss with salad greens, avocado, tomato and whatever you like for a little protein. Today I added salami and a boiled egg. Don't judge. Again, it's a work-with-what-you-have situation.

This dressing will keep in the fridge up to a week. And will keep me from eating chicken nuggets 5 times in as many days.

Enjoy!

PS -- Please tell me: what's your favorite thing to eat for lunch? 

2012amymacsignaturefinal

No comments: