Is It Illegal to Bring Wine to the Polls?


As a work-from-home mother of two pre-teen/teen daughters, I am constantly looking for ways to save time. Also for ways to convince all the adolescent boys within my daughters’ social circles my daughters' are not to be trifled with, but this article will focus just on the time management thing.

One of my favorite time management tips is...

Do One Thing Today to Make Tomorrow Easier

Which seems a little counterintuitive, I’ll admit. As in “why would I do something for tomorrow when I still have 11 things I have to do TODAY?” At least that’s what I thought when I decided to give this a try.

I discovered that in the midst of feeling frazzled trying to meet work deadlines, throwing something into the slow cooker for dinner, filling out permission slips and mediating tooth-gnashing battles over raw hide bones (between the dogs, not the children) … doing just one thing for tomorrow, no matter how seemingly insignificant, gave me a sliver of control.

You know, it's that same feeling of having prepared well in advance for an exam, thus giving you a sense of superiority over those who were cramming through the night and arrived bleary-eyed and muddled on exam day. (Incidentally, I was almost always the crammer. If I bothered to study at all, but do NOT blow my cover with my children, who assume I was as on top of my studies as I require them to be.)

So some days I just jot down my to-do list for the next day, or set out tomorrow's outfit, or make a phone call I could put off but choose to knock out today. Sometimes I just scoot the throw pillows out of the way right before I go to bed so I don’t tear off my toe when I trip over them first thing in the morning.

You’re welcome, me. I just saved your toe.

This brings me around to tomorrow. Election Day 2012. I’m trying to think of ways to make the brutal lines a little more fun. I am thinking of bringing a lawn chair, a cheese tray, and loading a bunch of funny videos to watch while I wait in line for the privilege to vote.

My only question: Is it wrong to drink at a fire station (my polling site) at 10 a.m. (is this the right time or the wrong time to go?) Will I be mobbed, my chair and treats stolen while some kid watches Will Ferrell on technology stolen from me?

My parting words of advice: do one tiny thing to make tomorrow better, and remember every vote does, in fact, count (hello, 2000!)

What's one thing you can do to make tomorrow easier? What suggestions do you have for me to pass the time in Election Day lines?

2012amymacsignaturefinal

Source: Uploaded by user via I love on Pinterest

No comments: