The Grape Debate (and your Free Publicity Tip of the Week)

Grape Debate

If I forget to bring a snack into my home office while I’m working, I’m hopping up approximately every 47 seconds to find something to eat. Not a very effective way to get work done. Some might suggest medication to stave off this habit of jumping up and running around. “Pshaw!” I say (I have always wanted to work Pa Ingalls favorite saying into my writing. Mission accomplished.) I just bring snacks, and line them up on my desk like my own personal little convenience store.

Today, I decided to be virtuous and bring these grapes instead of the chocolate chip cookies nestled in the treats basket in my pantry. Those cookies, I swear they are screaming my name. They are loud. And aggressive. Quite pushy, and rude. The grapes are much more subtle, but it seemed like the right thing to do … so here they are.

Anywho, as I’m gobbling my grapes, I’m simultaneously preparing a client for an upcoming radio interview. Radio interviews are more relaxed than television interviews, if for no other reason than you don’t have to worry if your hair is doing something weird. But there are a few things you must do in a radio interview so you’ll sound like the intelligent professional I know you are. So here’s your free Publicity Tip of the Week:

In a radio interview (or television, telephone, or job interview for that matter) - slow down. Take a deep breath. When we’re a little anxious, we tend to talk faster. Eliminate the “ums” and “you knows” from your lexicon, if just for the few minutes you’re on air. And type up the main points you want to drive home, in a decent-size font, so it’s easy to get back on track if you lose your train of thought.

Now, to find a way to silence those cookies. I don't have a good feeling about this .... Happy Weekend!– Amy Mac

2 comments:

Join F4 Free said...

I remember my very first job interview. I told myself I am going to show confidence, but during the interview, I was extremely nervous and had several "uhms". I ran out of things to say and obviously, I got the "We'll call you" line.

Amy Mac said...

I had a mock interview with a VP of Marketing at International Paper ... very nice man, who pointed out I might want to edit out my favorite phrase at the time ... "ya know...."