Get In The Game

You know when you meet someone who’s going places? I am not talking about a visit to the jungles of Africa on a humanitarian mission – I mean someone you know is a mover and a shaker, who has that “it” factor? A combination of vision, personality and motivation that somehow spontaneously combines to create great things?

This is the type of person I found in Heather Smith Rocker when I met her about five years ago at a community service meeting. I’ve been lucky enough to continue to work with Heather in a volunteer capacity and as one of my favorite clients (and perhaps have a glass of wine or three along the way.)

When I discovered the Atlanta Business Chronicle was naming its’ “Up and Comers,” –a who’s who of the under-40 crowd - I immediately wrote a 500-words-or-less nomination for Heather.

Guess what?

She’s a finalist!

I am not surprised. She serves as the executive director for the non-profit Women in Technology, is the chair-elect of the Atlanta Women’s Alliance, is the immediate past president of the Junior League of Gwinnett and North Fulton Counties, the State Chairman for Georgia’s Junior Miss Scholarship Program, advisor for the Georgia Tech Young Alumni Council and a member of the League of Women Voters of Atlanta.

I’ve written about this before, but it’s a message worth repeating. Keep your eyes open for contests, award ceremonies and business competitions you can enter – whether it’s with a major business weekly in a large metropolitan city like the Atlanta Business Chronicle or a “best business idea” on a web site your target market frequents. Even if you don’t win, being recognized will likely send some business your way and it will definitely garner the right sort of attention for your resume, sales kit or your own web site.

In the meantime, I’m heading to the awards gala with Heather on Nov. 13. Wish her luck, and we’ll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Heather Rocker said...

Thanks, Amy! I appreciate your encouragement to apply and your expert words that make me sound so good. We ladies tend to hesitate when it comes to taking advantage of opportunities for award and exposure -- but we should definitely do it more often.

Amy Mac said...

Hey, anytime. Remember to hum the showtune in your head when you win at the dinner. It just makes it so much more fun.