Calling in the Professionals

I had an experience recently which, while entirely unrelated to business, reminded me how important it is to know when you can handle a project yourself, when you need to call on someone better equipped than you to handle the project, and having the good judgment to know where to draw the line between the two.


The Situation: a black, slinky-looking lizard, a little longer than the length of my index finger, had somehow slipped through the seal on my front door and had firmly planted itself in my front entryway. Those of you who know me can attest to the fact that I am ill-equipped to handle disposing of the tiniest of spiders or the most innocuous little bugs without screaming, slapping and waving of arms, and generally making a fool of myself. You can only imagine my feelings when faced with this little reptile in my cozy home, where I make my office.


The Solution: With my husband holed up in his corporate office building 10 miles away, and all my neighbors off at their various jobs, my options were limited. I knew I had to end the standoff with the lizard before he started running to escape his current predicament and I lost him. So I called my trusty neighbor Lynn who isn’t afraid of any sort of creature. She came in, grabbed a broom, set the lizard free in my front yard, and sealed up the crack in the door. Love her.

To be successful in any business, but especially one you are running from your home and perhaps on a limited budget, you have got to know where to draw the line between what you can and should do and when you need an outside expert to take care of a task (or pest.) Whether it is designing your web site or balancing your books, know when to relinquish control so you can concentrate on whatever it is that you do best.



Happy Spring! AMD


“I am the lizard king. I can do anything.” ― Jim Morrison, The Doors

No comments: