Free PR Tip of the Week: Snow Days and Breaking News

Everywhere you turn these days you hear about the chilly (okay, freezing) weather – from the barista at your local Starbucks to Brian Williams on the NBC Nightly News. In Atlanta we’re experiencing a long stretch of record lows, something we’ve not seen in these parts since the mid-1980s.

Small business owners take note: this is the perfect time to pitch a timely story to the media by connecting your product or service to the weather. For example, if you own a store that features knitting products, knit some toasty hats for local senior citizens and send a news release about your contribution to the community. If you’re an accountant gearing up for tax season, hold a “Cocoa and Coffee” seminar to answer basic questions from your neighbors with the angle “Banish Cold Temps and Taxes.” Send a news release to your local reporter regarding why it’s the perfect time to organize your taxes, and you’ve got a great story hook on your (cold) hands.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to the days I can prompt those of you who sell flip-flops, beach bags and frozen margarita machines with a weather-related story.

6 comments:

jimmy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
krista b said...

Amy, I LOVE reading your blog post & continue to be amazed how incredibly talented you are! I love this idea today~very creative! But come on! I have to call you out on the "flip-flops, beach bag & margaritas"..pleeease! That's a gimmee!! AS IF ONE NEEDS TALENT OR GREAT PR TO SELL THOSE!! ;-)
Keep em coming friend. You inspire me!

Amy Mac said...

KBBH, as you know - flattery will get you EVERYWHERE with me:) I say we gather the troops for a flip-flop, beach bag and margarita gathering this summer to discuss marketing theories around sales of such delightful items....xoxo-A

krista b said...

Oooo! I'm In! (& yes you can quote me on that to our dear friend who won't believe that I would actually mean that!) ahem! We can wear flip-flops, take a beach bag and drink margaritas at a lake deep in the heart of Arkansas can't we??? ;)

Creategirl said...

good to know, great tip! Thanks, so glad I found your blog as well!!

Roopa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.